Besides natural wealth and beauties the Vukovar-Srijem County can praise itself with a whole range of specialties that are included into immaterial cultural heritage of Croatia.
Immaterial cultural heritage can come in various forms and appearances of spiritual creativity transferred by word of mouth or in any other way, and especially:
- Language, dialect, speech and toponymy, and oral literature of all kinds,
- Folklore creativity in the field of music, dance, transfer, games, rituals, customs, as well as other traditional folk values,
- Traditional skills and crafts.
Preservation of immaterial cultural heritage is conducted with production and keeping records on them, as well as their transfer and cherishing in original and other environments.
Characteristics of cultural heritage based on professional evaluation and on request of the Commission for immaterial cultural heritage are established by the decision of the Ministry of Culture.
The list of protected immaterial cultural heritage from the area of the Vukovar-Srijem County (in alphabetical order):
- Bećarac – traditional vocal-instrumental melody famous in the area of Slavonia, Baranja and Syrmia
- Religious folk singing in the area of Slavonia and Syrmia
- Old-town song singing in the area of Slavonia, Baranja and Syrmia
- Preparation of traditional kulen/kulin (paprika-flavored salami)
- Spring procession on St. Philip’s (Komletinci)
- Svatovac – traditional vocal-instrumental melody in the area of Slavonia, Baranja and Syrmia
- Šetana kola (walking dance) from the area of Slavonia
- Traditional craft for wool processing and production of garments, family Čolakovac, Gradište near Županja
- Traditional craft of production of Slavonian-Syrmian hats by Stanko Ištoković from Ivankovo
- Traditional craft of production of Slavonian-Syrmian cloth garments by Stjepan Belić from Antin (Vinkovci)
- Art of production and playing the bagpipes and the duda in eastern and central Croatia
- Art of production of Slavonian leather vests
- Art of production of traditional female hair-styles in the area of Slavonia, Baranja and Syrmia
- Art of gold embroidery production (eastern Slavonia)
- Art of playing the tambura samica, Slavonia
- Art of gourd decoration in the area of Slavonia
Did you know?
Since 1878th Vukovar was connected to the railway traffic.